Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dive

One of our favorite things to do at night is put the the kids to bed and watch weird documentaries on Netflix. After watching them I always feel passionately about whatever I just watched and try and convince Chris to go on a juice fast, become vegan, and on and on and on. You'd think he would put an end to our documentary viewing but he still keeps watching them with me. A few weeks ago we watched one a friend recommended called "dive." It's about dumpster diving and all of the food that is thrown away that could be saving poor starving people. I loved it but shockingly so did Chris who immediately set off to start diving.

I haven't actually been with him but based on the amount of food he brings home I can't believe how much grocery stores throw away. We've been able to really stock pile our food storage the past few weeks and we get to eat lots of food I'm too cheap to buy which is pretty fun. In the movie the guys wife talked about how sometimes she dreaded waking up in the morning because she was scared of what lay ahead of her based on last nights dive. I am starting to relate.

Today I spent half the day washing, cutting, and preparing food to be dried, frozen, and canned. I'm grateful for this weird way to store food but I was really enjoying my break from canning season. I'm also a little nervous for this summer. Last year while I canned Pais was either sleeping or stuck in her exersaucer and Hunt would help me or watch a movie. Now that Pais is older they play and entertain each other which is nice but usually ends up looking like the picture below. I think I'm going to have my hands full this year.

No comments: