So this isn't actually a lake just proof that things are so much more fun when Chris is around.

Yesterday some friends took us to Axolotl lakes which are only six miles up the road from our house. I had no idea they were even there.
I am so glad they told us about them because I think it's going to be my happy place in Montana. It was gorgeous.
The girls loved playing in the water and the fact there was snails made it Huntley's favorite place too. She can spend hours picking up gross little shells and has talked about going back constantly.
Earlier this week we went and explored some places farther away from home. We found an awesome meadow up a place called Beaver Creek to have a picnic.
The girls weren't a fan of the flies and sat in the car the entire time.

After we ate we drove to Hebgen Lake to go swimming. (I love that we have lots of lakes near by to swim in but really am missing the manilla pond, where the beach was perfect and I didn't have to worry about stinking snakes, ugh.)
Just below Hebgen Lake is Quake Lake. I didn't take any pictures of it but sure should have. It's really funky looking. The fact it was formed when an earthquake tipped the water out of Hebgen lake and a landslide created a dam probably has a lot to do with that.
The girls loved standing on the dam and Hunt kept saying "tell me more about it" and wanting to understand everything that had happened and all of the details. I love weird natural disasters like this and the stories that go with them so it was really fun for the two of us to explore the visitor center and learn all about it. Although it never fails at night I get home and can't stop thinking about it and the coolness wears off and I can only think about how horrible it must have been for the people who had to endure the experience. Even better was today at church they announced our camping trip next week is going to be in that canyon. Now I'm just crossing my fingers there aren't any earthquakes.











No comments:
Post a Comment