Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Awkward Situations

I am beginning to wonder if Huntley has very manly features. Ever since she was born, especially when she was little, people would ask if she was a boy or a girl. I guess I didn't help matters by dressing her in camo all of the time. Although I think that as she has gotten older she definitley looks like a little girl. I am questioning my judgement. Twice in the past week Huntley has been mistaken for a boy. The first was by an older gentleman who I work with and yesterday by the nurse who was checking my blood pressure. Now I understand that yes it is hard to tell with a baby with little hair, but both times she was dressed in 100% pink, head to toe. I don't want to make people feel bad so I just go along with letting them assume she is a boy but the whole time I feel really awkward and want to shout "She's wearing pink, who dresses a little boy in all pink!". Should I speak up and say nope sorry she is a girl, or is that rude? Huntley will you please grow some hair so we can start doing piggies.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Sad. This happens no matter what though. People are just very unobservant sometimes. Especially men I've noticed. If I were you I would just say, "Thanks she is adorable or something" so they figure out their mistake, but you're not just coming right out and saying it. Don't worry though, she definitely does not have manly features. She's a cutie.

Delora said...

I wonder if people usually assume boy first because I got the same thing with both my girls and felt the same way "Hello she is wearing PINK". I would just use the word "she" a lot and they can be the one that feels awkward. We look forward to you coming out here to escape the snow sometime this winter. The girls will love Huntley.

Sara said...

Don't worry...this happens to me too, and I almost always have bows on their heads. Your Grandpa Dean asked me one if Tessa was a girl, after I told him her name was Tessa. Funny!

Jordan and Jandee said...

that weird because people are ALWAYS asking me if Isaac is a girl, even dressed in head to toe blue. It drives me crazy when after I tell them he is a boy they proceed to say, "Wow he's almost to pretty to be a boy." Yep...guess what, he is. Do you want me to remove his diaper and prove it? annoying.

I think all babies maybe are a little androgynous until they get older?

BTW, I can tell Huntley is a girl.