Monday, June 4, 2012

Amelia Bedelia Bakes Cookies

Disclaimer: This may be my last blog post ever. Once the subject matter reads this I may be banned from the blogosphere.

Some of my favorite books growing up where the Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish. Amelia took everything literally for what had been said. She would actually draw pictures of the drapes and put leaves from trees on the table instead of the actual wooden table leaf. It used to crack me up. Lets be honest, I still laugh when I read them to my girls. Little did I know my husband has taken cooking lessons from Amelia.

Chris is actually a really good cook. When it comes to dinner we always cook it together and he can make a mean stir fry. Last night I discovered baking is a whole different story when he said he really wanted some sugar cookies. Being the awesome wife I am I said "here's the recipe have at it". In my defense I'm still in a weight loss competition and knew I didn't have enough will power yesterday to make them with out tasting. Chris looked a little lost reading the recipe so I got Huntley to help him since before the weight loss competition we made cookies on a daily basis.

Sitting in the other room listening to them was hilarious. Huntley patiently tried to explain how to assemble and use the kitchenaid. After ten minutes it was finally working and she let out a sigh of relief and said "otay, let's do dis". The first few ingredients went well, I thought, sugar, butter, eggs. At this point Chris reads "cream them together" and states "we don't have any cream so we'll have to use milk".

Time for an intervention.

I got in the kitchen in time to explain what "cream" really means but found half a bowl of butter on the counter. Apparently Chris didn't know there is a handy dandy measurement system printed on the side of the butter wrapper and had melted butter until he got exactly half a cup. I pretty much changed his butter measuring life forever.

After this point I decided to stay out of their way. When adding the vanilla he decided to add extra because it smelled good. Towards the end things weren't looking right so he had Hunt adding extra flower and milk until it looked normal. Finally to fix the whole thing he added extra sugar and then the two sat down to just eat the dough.

Cookies never were actually baked but the dough must have tasted okay because he gained two pounds this morning. As for me I didn't touch it and I also gained two pounds so not only do I have to go to the extreme of cutting all carbs from my diet, I also can't even look at them.

In other news we also went for a walk in the gravel pit last night and Paisley had carrots for dinner. Of course I can't do a post without a pic of the girls.

3 comments:

Grandma Doni said...

I got a good laugh!!! But hey they had a great time together!

Aubrey Smith said...

This made my day-so funny!

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! I could picture that entire scene and I had to hold my laughter because I read it at work! Toooo funny!!!!!