Monday, June 11, 2012

How I feel about bicycles

I used to hate bikes. Passionately. When I went to USU everybody rode a bike and would ride past us walking pedestrians at lightning speed. Apparently I also walked around with a sign on my back that said "hit me" because I was ran over several times. I used to hear the sound of a bike approaching and I would cringe and try and make myself as small as possible in order to avoid injury. I hate bicycles.

Fast forward a few years later and I'm married with a 2 year old and my husband thinks it would be a great idea to get bikes. We could take them camping and it would save us tons of money because we can ride them everywhere. I wasn't to keen on the idea but after much persuasion I found myself in the bike shop trying not to look like an idiot testing out bikes. It had been years since I'd been on a bike and the saying is true you never forget how to ride a bicycle. You may not forget but your opinion sure changes. When I was younger a bike meant freedom to go anywhere I wanted. Now that I'm older I honestly just worried how big my butt looked hanging over the sides of that little seat. The funny thing is I bought that bike and the next summer the main thing it was used for was Saturday morning rides to Daylight Doughnuts.

Now a few more years have passed and I'm a stay at home mom to two girlies and we only own one vehicle. I survive just fine without a car and actually enjoy walking everywhere. The one problem with walking is the stroller doesn't have much storage space. Today I really needed to go grocery shopping so I faced my fears of my large behind hanging over the seat for all to see and rode my bike to the grocery store. It was actually quite fun and from the occasional "wheeee" I heard coming from the trailer I think the girls liked it too. Since we didn't drive Paisley had to actually sit in the shopping cart which leads us to today's picture. Long story for a picture, eh!

No comments: