Sunday, July 22, 2012

Steel Days 2012

I'm a Strawberry Days girl at heart.  The rodeo, strawberries and cream, parade, and everything else that comes with that blessed week of the year just makes me happy.  Unfortunately we were out of town during Strawberry Days this year and didn't get to participate in any of the fun.  Last week was Steel Days and now that I'm a resident of AF and if I stay here much longer Steel just might overcome the Strawberry.  There are just some things when it comes to town celebrations that AF knows how to do right.

My favorite activity is the picnic in the park.  Last year we were newbies to Steel Day celebrations and happened upon this glorious activity with Linda.  I don't think we will ever miss it again as long as we are around.  Quail Park fills up with inflatables, food vendors, and millions of carnival type games with really good prizes and the best part is it's FREE!  There is usually a lot of people but there is so much to do the lines don't take long.  Plus we came away with some pretty sweet princess crowns that have been worn 24/7 ever since.
 Saturday was one jam packed day full of fun.  Main street is closed down starting at 7 am for the parade so we decided to take advantage of the wide open space and ride our bikes down the road.  Not really but it did make walking down to the breakfast really nice without having to worry about cars.  One of my YW is in the marching band and sold us tickets to the breakfast they put on before the parade. 
The parade was fun but Huntley needs to work on her candy grabbing skills.  She gets more excited about getting the paper flyers than the candy.  I did end up with some sweet coupons and if anyone needs an appliance repair I've got plenty of $10 off service calls to Lamars.


Possibly the greatest thing ever about Steel Days is the presale carnival tickets.  Instead of paying a fortune for the rides everything is one dollar so Hunt was able to ride to her little hearts content.  She even rode the big yellow slide a million times which killed me.  I still vividly remember my first time riding the big yellow slide and I was probably 8 and it scared the crap out of me.  I rode it this year with Hunt and it still scares the crap out of me.

Paisley was such a good sport and chilled in her stroller without making a peep the entire time.  Best. Baby. Ever. 
 And what does Chris do while we are off having fun without him.  Why he decides to be in a parade and give poor Smokey the Bear a wedgie.  Yes I married a 12 year old boy.





No comments: